Monday, February 22, 2010

Through the Eyes of a Mary

I think Marys must drive Marthas nuts. I somehow singlehandedly ruined a Women's Tea Party at my church. I don't think I ruined it for everyone, just the Marthas at my table.

My friend and partner in Maryville, Jennie, went with me to the Women's Tea Party. We entered to a beautifully arranged sanctuary of tables and women. All tables uniquely decorated and all women oogling and awing the arrangements. We were assigned a table and went to find it and get settled in.

Mary mistake number one: I didn't look for a name tag on the pushed in seats and so I sat in a seat of my choosing. Jennie sat next to me.

Mistake number two: I took the coffee mug and proceeded to get coffee.

When we returned to the table, we entered into a disturbing sight. A group of Marthas were at their wits end. The assigned seating was all messed up. Basically I took someone's seat. No biggy I thought, I will just move to another seat. As any Mary would see, it was no big thang. I moved seats and problem was solved.

Unfortunately, the problems just began. Because as you remember, I took the mug from the first seat.

Our table was called to the buffet line and we chatted all through line and returned with a plate full of food back to our table. Seconds later the Marthas were in a tizzy. Where is "THE MUG". Where could it be? The head Martha has been looking all over for it! Goodness gracious!!!

Jennie laughed and reached over and gave the unused mug in front of me to the lady without a mug. "Here is the mug!" she said, "mystery solved". I giggled and said "Whoops I must have stolen it from your spot." I thought I was funny saying the word "stolen". They took it literally and whispered amongst themselves "She (eyes glaring) stole the mug". They were visably angry with me and my inconsiderate action of mug stealing.

I looked at them and said "Wow"! I then couldn't contain myself and started laughing. Which made Jennie laugh. She, however, is much more gracious than I am and offered to get the mugless Martha a cup of coffee. The funny part was Martha let Jennie get her a cup of coffee. The whole event didn't stop there but it definitely began the mood.

We now call that day "Tea Party at the Angry Table"

It takes 10 Marthas to deal with 1 Mary.

1 comment:

cheneymommy said...

too funny! The picture I played of it in my mind was even better!