Friday, October 9, 2009

God Can Change Even Me

The last couple of weekends a mom from my soccer team came up to me to "talk" to me about her son.  She was visibly angry and frustrated.  I am not easily intimidated so I said sure, lets "talk".  I listened and validated and tried my best to keep the conversation at an even level. 

Because she doesn't know very much about soccer the conversation was difficult.  It was like talking to someone who knows very little English.  We were both confused.  I think we both had deer-in-the-headlights expressions on our face. 

After the conversation I realized my growth as a Christian woman.  Sometimes I wonder if I have grown at all.  It is similar to seeing your children everyday and not realizing that they grew 2 inches until you messure them on the kitchen wall.  That is how I felt this last Saturday.  The old Beth (BC-Before Christ in my life) would have got in that lady's face and told her somethin' somethin'.  Especially when she verbally attacked my son.  But I didn't even go to that dark place of anger and domination.  I actually felt sad for the woman because she was so angry and bitter. 

I went to my car and thanked my Lord and Savior for saving me from a life of bitterness.  I never thought that I would ever be at a place that was more about love than anger.  I truly felt a desire to love that mom.  I couldn't imagine holding on to such resentment.  You could see her pain and emptiness in her expressions.

I feel like God took me into the kitchen and messured me on the wall.  God is good and boy can He change us.

No comments: